WORKING OUT AIN’T PRETTY
| As promised, here’s your friday workout! Do it today, do it Saturday, do it Sunday, store it for a day this week when you just can’t get to class! Also if you’re killing it at Turn It Up 20 then this is excellent cross-training!
So, this time I made a speedy chipmunk video with a write up for a little variety and maybe a little laugh factor on your Friday morning. Laugh at me or with me, just laugh!
If you know me then you know that feedback is very important to me. When I teach at SoulCycle I am not performing to room or putting on a show. It’s not my workout or my opportunity to shine or show off my sexy hair-flip, although let’s keep it 100, I love a good hair-flip! Our time in the room together is just that, our time together. I am teaching to you, I’m talking to you, I am protecting you and pushing you to be your best, in that moment.
So let me know if you enjoy a slower version of filming or a quicker, time-lapse version. 🙂
Ok, back on topic.
Monday I woke up feeling unmotivated. I didn’t want to put any makeup on, didn’t want to be in a room socially to sweat and didn’t want to follow any kind of regime for my workout. Heck, I didn’t even want to workout, much less make a video of me working-out. Then I thought; so much of working out these days is the super fancy yoga pants, the strappy sexy- meshy bras, and let’s not forget gorgeous scenic picture and pretzel yoga poses, most the time in bikinis and panties! Again, love those too! My point is, it’s not for everyone. Maybe you don’t feel sexy in yoga clothes, in bikinis or even in your body enough to take yourself to a group fitness class. Maybe you feel awkward in your hand eye coordination and ar intimidated by doing funny movements in front of people you don’t even know; listen, I get it.
Let me just say.. firstly, if that’s how you’re feeling then SoulCycle is for you! Meet me there and I’ll take care of you, make you feel safe and supported and we will show for each other, with each other and get stronger together.
So without further ado here is this weeks anywhere, everywhere workout!
WHAT YOU’LL NEED:
- I have a 10lb med ball and 15lb and 25lb kettlebells in the house and with the magical work wide web you can have them at your doorstep in 48 hours or less! If you think you don’t have anything similar, think again! You can use a cookbook, a gallon of milk-hopefully almond or something non-dairy as we’re talking about health here. A bag of something heavy, 5-1olbs will do! Soil, dog food, a helmet, a vase, a backpack of books, anything you can carry to add a little umph to your load!
- A mat or a soft area to lie on.
- Proper workout shoes.
- A good soundtrack or a killer view!
- Stretch and roll out your hips, listen to your body and feel what it feels like to be in your physical form today.
- A few vinyasas/ sun salutations (down-dog, plank, chatturanga, up-dog, down dog) Pedal your legs out and bend your knees and breath into the back body and hamstings.
- Open up the hips and iliosoaze with a runners lunge and open your thoracic with a juicy twist and maybe an arm to the ceiling.
- Chair pose (utkatasana) to build a little heat in your legs and glutes.
- Feet wide apart about a legs distance with a forward fold. Interlacing the hands behind your back and focusing on pulling the shoulders away from the ears.
- Add a twist to this if your mid section is feeling good.
- Single arm kettlebell swings with a small squat (you can use anything weighted here just make sure you can get a good grip)
- Dead lifts with kettlebell (keep your chest open and your spine long and the slightest bend in the knee)
- Forward lunges with kettlebell alternating legs (be mindful that your knee tracks over your ankle and doesn’t go any further)
- Squats with kettlebell (wish I was talking about kettle corn)
- Single leg dead lifts (keep the hips neutral by flexing the back foot so the toes point to the floor)
- Squat press with med ball
- Russian twists with med ball
- Reclined toe touches with med ball
- Single leg hip thrusters with weight on the hips
- Full hip thrusters with med ball (again keeping the knees over the ankles)
- Russian twists with med ball (focusing the twist in the torso now that you’re warmer)
- Crab abs alternating legs
- Low walking squats forward and back holding kettlebell close to the body (stay low, don’t straighten the knees)
- Plank walk in the arms, alternating sides (keep the wrists directly under the shoulders)
- Side plank (Drop the bottom leg to a knee if you need help with your balance)
- Tabletop core work. Extend alternating arm and leg and crunch as you bring them together)
- Cycling abs
- Penguins (keep the arms straight and focus the contraction in your obliques to reach the hands as far down the sides of your shoes)
- Magical rope climbs (use the imaginary rope! It works! Use it to go up and back down so you control the descent back to the mat)
- Starfish sit-ups, my fave and the hardest! ( keep your legs and arms spread as wide as possible with one hand behind the head. Use the extended arm to direct your body movement to the ceiling, keep your gaze up and once you’re sitting straight up twist in the torso and touch the opposite toes)
THE SECRET TO THIS WORKOUT
On days when I don’t feel motivated to be with a group or bossed around and I just want to listen to my body and move until it feels good. This workout has no timers, no reps, no strategic intervals or agenda. Just me, my legs, my hips, my breath, my reps, my time and my energy. Doing whatever my body wanted to do. So many workouts are done best when you listen to what your body wants and you let go of the idea that you have to compete with or impress anyone else around.
Enjoy this workout, enjoy your day but mostly, enjoy your body!
For more workouts visit http://pixieacia.com/category/tabata.